Monday 15 August 2011

Harry Potter

It’s been a couple of weeks since I went and saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 at the cinema. I don’t go to the cinema that often, the ticket prices are ridiculous so it has to be a movie that I am pretty sure that I’ll like. I wasn’t disappointed with Harry Potter, I never am.  After seeing the movie my sister and I discussed it as we walked away from the cinema towards the car park where our mum was waiting to take us home, we spoke about it in the car, we spoke a bit when we got home and then talked about all the books and films at length while we delivered the free news paper.  The end result of that discussion was that we both enjoyed the film.  I have continued to think about the film, especially Snape. Snape was always my favourite character ever since the beginning, anybody who knew me ten years ago could tell you that.  I have been on an emotional journey with Snape ever since.  Then there is Neville Longbottom who I always had a soft spot for, the final book and film are his turn to shine and show just how strong he really is. 


I have this feeling of sorrow in my heart now that the final movie has been finished.  It’s the same feeling I had when I finished reading the last book, there is no more Harry Potter.  Harry Potter means a lot to me, it actually means more to me than any other series of books has and probably ever will.  It was my childhood. Ten years ago I was nine years old, I hadn’t read the book but I went along to the cinema because my younger sister had read the books and really wanted to see the movie.  I loved it; I became obsessed with Harry Potter since then.  I’ve grown up with Harry Potter, I read the books as they were released, I had them ordered and I faithfully read them the day they were released in Tasmania.  Back when the first film had been released and it turned out to be a massive fan favourite all around the world, they had a lot of Harry Potter themed things.  I had a Snape action figure who has sadly gone missing over the years.  He was awesome; his cloak would always fall off though which was a bit bothersome.  My sister always wanted a Fluffy toy which she never got and has recently been reminding us all. I remember how you could buy Bertie Botts every flavour beans, I loved them.  I hated the tomato flavoured ones, they were disgusting. You could also get Chocolate Frogs which had collect able cards from the first two films; there is probably a stack of them somewhere around the house.  I seem to remember getting a rather large amount of Professor McGonagall cards and Hermione Granger.  I wish they still made those frogs, I think they were nine-nine cents each, I remember you could get them at the counter of Mitre10.


I had a Harry Potter glass once upon a time before I was a proper fan, I can’t remember who bought them for myself and my sister but I ended up using mine to clean my paint brushes as I fancied myself as a bit of an artist back then.  (Good thing I saw some sense and stopped) I had a Harry Potter sticker book too, I seemed to get a lot of sticker books for different things, Pokémon, The Saddle Club, AFL etc.  But Harry Potter, Harry and all the other characters are like real people in my life. They’ve been there for so long, so to have the series end is a bit life altering.  There are no new movies to wait for, I’ve always told myself not to get too excited of the Harry Potter movies but the moment the first poster and trailer are released I’m pumped. In 2003 I went over to a friends’ house to work on a school project we were doing together, she had a Harry Potter Computer game which I thought was brilliant.  I wish I had a Harry Potter computer game.


Now that the final movie has been released into the world and I have seen it there is only one thing left to do. I can re-watch all the Harry Potter films and re-read all the Harry Potter books over and over again. Also I can read three other Harry Potter related books that J.K. Rowling wrote.  I know the first book inside out; and almost every night when I was eleven, Stephen Fry would read the book to me on the audio cassette I was given for my eleventh birthday.  During the winter time I listened to it every night and had to move the CD player closer to my bed so I didn’t have to get out of my warm bed to change the tapes over to the other side.  Whenever I have finished all my library books I wander over to my Harry Potter books and read them like there’s no tomorrow.  At least once a year I find myself revisiting that world.  I’m looking forward for the release of the final movie on DVD now.

No comments:

Post a Comment